Call for nominations: YWCA Australia delegation to 61st United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (CSW).
Do you want to represent YWCA at the United Nations peak global gathering on women’s rights and gender equality? Apply now!
The UN Commission on the Status of Women is the global policy body for women’s issues. Representatives of government from around the world meet annually in New York to discuss ways to improve the status of women, watched on by a large contingent of NGO activists. The CSW has been going since 1946 and has supported the development of the Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW), and the development of the 1995 Beijing Platform for Action.
In 2017 the CSW will be held in New York from 13 – 24th March, and the theme is “women’s economic empowerment in the changing world of work”.
The active participation of NGOs such as the YWCA is a critical element in the work of the United Nations. The World YWCA lobbied for the establishment of the Commission itself in 1946, and has participated in CSW since it began. YWCA’s strong presence at these gatherings has a focus on including diverse young women’s voices in the global conversation.
YWCA Australia will be sending a delegation of 3 to 6 Members to CSW 2017:
YWCA Australia Board has approved funding to support participation at CSW. The positions available include:
• One position for a young woman supported by a partial scholarship, to the value of $1,700; and
• Up to 3 positions to be fully self-funded.
To Apply: Download the Application Form
*Applications close 5pm on January 12*
If you are interested, we encourage you to apply! You don’t have to be an expert in every area. The delegation will bring together new and experienced women.
• Current financial Member of YWCA for at least one year;
• Able to commit to pre-CSW planning and meetings with YWCA Australia and the delegation;
• Willing to fully participate in all CSW activities;
• Able to meet the financial requirements for the full cost of attending CSW;
• Willing to report back to YWCA Australia and your YWCA Board, staff, Members upon returning.